On October 29th 1969, the first message was sent from computer to computer on ARPANET.
It became the email as we all know it today, It is a very comfortable means of communication especially among professionals and working-class because it is extremely fast, cheap and can reach a lot of people when you hit the send button, but it quickly turned to a place where marketers hit you with their products and overwhelm you with their newsletters.
I was tasked to design an emailing client called Ignite. Ignite is a minimalistic email client that gives you control over the organization of your mails.
- An email client that helps people focus on what’s important.
- The dashboard is a minimalist view that lets you quickly see what’s important in your inbox and clean up the rest.
- All new emails are smartly categorized into personal, notifications and newsletters.
- Email threads are arranged in a simple format that’s easy to understand.
- Snooze an email to get back to it when the time is right.
- Powerful search module that makes it easy to find emails.
- Schedule Emails.
I started my interview by setting up a form, a simple google form to understand challenges people face when using their local emails (Those things are almost perfect). I used a google form because it adheres to the social distancing guidelines and also I would reach more email users through a link.
With this survey, I was able to gather information and understand the user’s pain points. The form contained 13 short questions, The form was answered by 22people.