We look back at the past 20 years and, even though search, as its core, has stayed the same, search has also evolved quite a lot. Algorithms have consistently updated, we had the introduction to snippets, mobile-first indexing, and voice search.
With this all, it can seem a little daunting as to what a content creator should target, in order to achieve the best SEO for their content in 2020. From running a few content mills, here are some of the tips you can take away to achieve good SEO content in 2020.
Image Optimized for Google Search
When I create content now, I always try to add images. Not only does this improve the user experience, but it also gives you a SEO boost:
- The image is indexed by search engines to appear on the image search.
- Depending on the image, it has the potential to appear in Google search results too.
- It encourages getting into a rich snippet.
- With the right size image, you open the doors to feature on Google Now, which can achieve huge spikes of traffic.
Longer content does not necessarily mean better content. However, on average, the content that is longer tends to go into detail more. Explore the topic in more depth and contains more information that the web user might find useful and relevant.
With this, try and make your content around 1,500-2000 words, preferably at least 2,000 words.
Table of Contents
Adding a table of contents to an article does a huge amount of good to that article:
- The user experience improves if you stick the table of contents just below the first paragraph. It allows the web user to see what the content is about and go to the part of the article that interests them the most (this reduces the bounce and exit rate for longer content).
- Google picks up on a table of contents because Google crawls them as links for the article. When this is the case, it has the potential to appear on the search engine results page (SERP), which will improve the look of your article on search engines and have more links the web user can click onto.
See the below example, where the bottom three links all appear due to a table of contents appearing:
Varied Multi-Media Content
Writing content for good ranking is not all about just text. Spice your content up with different forms of multimedia:
- Gifs/Memes, if appropriate
- Interactivity, such as quizzes, questionnaires etc.
Link, Link, Link
Link building is still an important part of good SEO. It’s the way for one website to credit another website, which Google trusts.
For this reason, always try to develop relationships and reach out to like-minded websites to get links. Although the majority might not reply or say no, all it takes is one or two to say yes, to give your content an extra SEO boost.